Frauenkirche Dresden and the Neumarkt. There has been a church in this location for the last 1,000 years, starting with a missionary church in the 11th century, followed by a Gothic church in the 13th century, and the Baroque church by George Bähr completed in 1743. The church was completely destroyed in WWII, with the intense heat from the bombing raids eventually causing the 12,000 ton dome to collapse into the church. Many citizens collected architectural reliefs from the church so they were not destroyed, and dontated them back when the restoration project started. It was eventually completed in 2005.